Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Mentorship Tip of the Day: Self Development


Self-Development is key to any successful individual. Build a self-development program with your mentor. Identify your goals and build out strategies to achieve them.

What do you want to accomplish?
What things do you need to achieve this? (i.e. professional coach, professional speaking course, etc.) 

Keep focused on the goal and strategies to get there. Remember, if you don't leave your comfort zone and do things that challenge you, then you aren't growing!

I relate this feeling to hiring a personal trainer to prepare me for my wedding. I work out regularly but I have those days where I walk rather than run on the treadmill because I am tired or just don’t feel like it. With a trainer, I am accountable to someone who is in line with my goals. Someone to push me to do the things I dislike doing (i.e. jumping rope… ugh!). This not only helps me to physically develop myself but also allows me to achieve that next level of fitness I am looking for. 

For business, mentoring and professional coaches are an imperative part to get to the next level in your career. Take the steps below and work toward your goal by building a plan. Remember: Always keep your goals visible!

  • Create a self-development plan (goals, strategies, action items)
  • Review it with your mentor
  • Move out of your comfort zone and grow allow yourself to grow
  • Review your plan regularly, adjusting to the barriers that come along the way
  • ACHIEVE the next best you!

Be sure to not let mentoring be a one-and-done experience for you. Always continue this journey. Every mentor can bring something new to your career and life. Always give back and be a mentor to someone. I have learned so much from those I have mentored; the experience alone is a very gratifying task.

-Kristen Esposito

No comments:

Post a Comment